Citizens Climate Lobby – Las Vegas Chapter
Citizens Climate Lobby is laser focused on building political will to enact effective and efficient solutions to minimize the effects of climate change. Our current psychological and political climate encourages denial or procrastination on the part of some, a hunger for burdensome and inefficient regulations on the part of others, and general reluctance to act on the part of many. All the while, opportunities for jobs creation, economic growth and carbon reduction go unrealized.
CCL is a well organized grass roots organization with more than 150,000 volunteers worldwide that seeks to promote a more positive, bipartisan and constructive approach to this problem. Our strategy utilizes five basic “levers”:
1. Lobbying Congress – CCL trains volunteers to build friendly relationships with members of congress on both sides of the isle.
2. Media relations – Volunteers write letters to editors and op eds and work with editorial boards to get the word out about the importance of action and the benefits of market-based solutions.
3. Grassroots – Volunteers “table” at community events, providing information on effective legislation and action to address climate change.
4. Grass tops engagement – We engage with business leaders and non-governmental organizations, both locally and nationally.
5. Group developing and organizing – Creating and training local chapters around the world.
Why are we engaging with the Las Vegas Metro Chamber of Commerce?
We recognize that the path toward leaving a livable world to our children runs straight through the business community. Doom and gloom scenarios are neither popular nor productive for many people, and the negative aspects of this topic often overshadow the tremendous opportunities that lie ahead.
The US Chamber of Commerce recently issued a strong statement in favor of the business community taking a leadership role in addressing climate change. Over 3500 top economists recently signed a letter in support of the specific market-based solution that CCL is advocating, and the Business Round Table, headed by Jamie Dimon, issued a statement in August redefining the purpose of a corporation to promote an economy that serves all American citizens, specifically including protection of the environment and embracing sustainable solutions.
The Las Vegas CCL chapter aims to engage with NV businesses to start constructive dialogue about the best path forward to serve the best interest of business and the community.
Member Since: 2019